Wanting to Sell Your Home But Unsure of How to Start the Process?
Here are four simple steps to get you started on the process of selling your home.
1. Call us. Typically you will want to get in touch with us 1-3 months before you want to list your home. We will provide you with a price opinion of what your home might sell for and an estimate of what your “net” proceeds would be at closing after all customer seller expenses, closing costs, real estate commissions and loan balances are paid. We can also consult with you and give you specific recommendations on what needs to be done to prepare your home for a timely sale to help you realize the highest price and net to you.
2. Assess the condition of your home to determine what updates and/or repairs might be required so that it will show more favorably against competing homes. Here are some main areas to consider.
- Flooring - analyze the carpet condition, replace if needed. Hardwoods, ceramic tile and laminate flooring are popular with buyers and may help your home sell faster and at a higher price.
- Light Fixtures - update, clean to sparkling, and replace light bulbs if needed.
- Fresh Paint Inside and Out - re-caulk as needed, clean & repaint baseboards.
- Make General Repairs - contact us if you need a referral for a great handyman. Address wood rot and active water leaks immediately.
- Service the HVAC System. If your system is over 15 years old consider replacing it, otherwise be sure to inspect the outside compressor unit, blower motor, evaporator coils, duct work and AC filters.
- Check the age and condition of household appliances, including your hot water heater.
- Have your roof shingles professionally examined for wear and possible hail damage.
- Get your lawn looking its best to maximize curb appeal. Mow, edge, trim, and install fresh mulch.
- Do a deep “spring cleaning” and pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms.